Friday, October 28, 2011

Right. Charge!

I decided I would show my children (ages 5 and 2) "Monty Python's Holy Grail."  Before you start slinging arrows at me, I did not show them the whole thing.  I showed them one specific scene.  Here's where it gets gross because I have boys.

We were in the car one day and Dominic let some gas go.  Cameron cracked up.  I said, "I fart in your general direction."  Dominic cracked up.  I said that's from one of my favorite movies.  So he said he wanted to see it.

I finally found the Holy Grail and put it in the DVD player.  As it was loading I was thinking about that scene and how funny I think it is.  I specifically was thinking about John Cleese and his "outrageous French accent."  I love that exchange of dialogue.  Who doesn't?  The dialogue is what I thought would make Dominic crack up.  I didn't know what Cameron would think.

We're watching this scene and Dom's kind of laughing. But what really makes him, and Cameron, crack up is a part I totally forgot about. It starts two minutes in:



The French soldiers start lobbing livestock at Arthur and his knights. A huge cow smashes one of them and then ducks and chickens and pigs and cats and more cows come flying out of the castle. Dom and Cam totally lost it. They were rolling on the floor. I took this video of them laughing the second time they watched it:



We watched that part at least five times. I laughed so hard.  I don't think I'd ever given a second thought to that part any other time I'd watched the Holy Grail.  Dominic and Cameron really helped me see beyond what I wanted to focus on and find a new joy in something I already loved.

No comments: